Thursday, March 27, 2008

Using Picture Book with Adults

I would like to bring up the discussion that occurred in Monday's class about the idea of using picture books with not only younger aged readers but also with adolescence and adults. In my opinion this is a very vital and useful tool for all ages. Students have may different learning tactics. Some learn through oral means, while others learn from visual means. Pictures add a lot to an experience of reading. You are never too old for pictures. Pictures can trigger many thoughts about the text that might not have been brought up without that visual aid. I don't think that you can define an age where pictures are inappropriate to use in the learning process. Pictures are used throughout all subjects and all grades of education. In math we look at bar graphs and pie charts, in social studies we look at maps and timelines. All of these elements are a variation of pictures. Many times with novels, the reader only has the colorful cover page to help portray the book. This picture usually lures the reader to the book from the bookshelf. I think we should consider the value children's pictures books have on a child's learning and apply them to the education of all ages. Something that might capture our eyes, can also capture our minds. 

2 comments:

Valerie W. said...

I think there's also going to be more emphasis on visual literacy as technology changes.

Sarah Zietlow said...

Visual learning is definitely one of the main ways people, of all ages, learn and recollect information. I agree that more use of picture books, or pictures within books, like biographies and non-fiction books is crucial to further learning.
In many of the historical books that I read for my major I become increasingly bored with each page, and I often time wish I could see a map, or a figure of the person being talked about so I can understand visually. One feature that I do like in many biographies that I read, novels not picture books, is in the center of the novel are incorporated pictures of the person and the people discussed in the book. This element adds a sense of relation to the book where the reader can associate a name with a face which will add to recollection later.
Using more pictures in adult level books would be a great idea for intrigue and helpful triggering cues.