Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Too young?

Hi Everyone!
After reading Esperanza's Rising I had a quick question that we didn't address in class. I nanny for a girl who loves reading and I was thinking that she would really enjoy this book. When reflecting back on the book though I thought of many topics that were brought up during the reading that might be difficult for a young child to grasp, but what would be considered too young? I couldn't place an age group on this book and I was wondering what you thought. She is 10 years old and is an avid reader but I'm kinda thinking that this book might be too much for her. Let me know what you think : )

3 comments:

Alex M said...

If I were to guess a target audience of this book, an audience that the book would be especially meaningful for, I would guess it would be girls between the ages of 10-14. I think they would identify closely with Esperanza, particularly with her relationship to her family members, but also with aspects of her 'coming of age,'for example when she gives her doll to Isabel because she feels too old for it and when she begins to take on responsibility in the household, doing chores and going to work.

Granted, the book does have some heavy material in terms of content and literary merit, but I think this would only enhance the experience for readers at roughly a middle school level. Certainly, if she is an avid reader you should share this book with her. Additionally, because you've already read the book and discussed it on an academic level, you could easily help her work through some of the more difficult concepts. I am a little jealous of your opportunity to share this book with someone else who will probably love it.

Katie G said...

I think that's great that you want to share Esperanza Rising with the little girl you nanny! I agree with Alex on the age of appropriateness of the book. Kids this age are hearing about things such as struggles in economic class and migration anyway though media and other aspects of our society. Esperanza Rising catches their emotion in the sense of feeling bad for Esperanza and what she goes through, and in turn relates with them by giving them a sense that they can get through any obstacle thrown at them just as Esperanza does.

Katie G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.