Monday, March 3, 2008

Notes from spring break

Hi everyone,

I hope all of you are enjoying spring break. I'm staying home this year to focus on my writing and to spend some time catching up on my pleasure reading. I've also just reread posts on the blog, which have inspired me to pen some more limericks!

This morning NPR had a segment on "Harriet the Spy" that made me think of some of the conversations we had in class last week related to contemporary realistic fiction. (By following the link you can listen to the 7 minute broadcast.) I would love to hear people's experiences with the book and responses to the segment.

I'm reading "Brave Story" by Miyuki Miyabe this break. Miyabe is a Japanese writer who is known for her detective stories. "Brave Story" is a translation of her popular fantasy for kids. (It is 816 pages, so I didn't dare start it until break!) It took me almost 100 pages to get into it and now I can't put it down! A good reminder for myself that we all need time to sink into books.

As people come back from break, I hope you'll share any connections you made with your travels and the course!

Valerie

No comments: