Thursday, January 17, 2008

American Born Chinese: Lattice Group

I just went to a bookclub discussion of "American Born Chinese". I'm going to save what I got out of it until we're together in person and I can show you the book.

We've talked a little bit about how the context of reading and discussion makes a big difference. (Little wonder that we started off with food and bit of catching up with old friends!) Only then did we move into talking about the book. Some people had done research on the author, others talked about graphic novels in general, we spent some time looking at particular illustrations that we liked or had problems with, people asked questions about the ending, someone passed around a couple of resources on China, etc.

I guess my point is that talking about books helps us understand texts, but it is also fun! I hope that we can recreate some of that in our class. (And maybe you will in your future classes!)

No comments: